Heavy metal binding

For everyone who wanted to watch this great video of book binding set to screamo, enjoy.

For anyone who’s actually interested in book binding, this is the video I learned from.  She has tons of other cool binding and book making tutorials, so I highly recommend if that’s something you’re into.




final post

After all is said and done, I basically have only feelings of disappointment.  I liked the idea of this process; I loved the idea of learning something and then putting it to use.  I did enjoy a lot of the process as well, mostly the research into book binding.  But overall, paper making sucks.  For every sheet of paper I ended up with, about 10 didn’t work out.  It felt like a useless, frustrating waste of time.  The paper I did end up with was no good for my project; it is flimsy and cannot be pierced or bound without falling apart or tearing.  I ended up having to use a fabric tape and regular paper to strengthen my signatures, which took away from the overall look of my book.

I liked learning about book making, and my favourite aspect of this project was the book covers I made.  The time and effort put in paid off and I ended up with two beautiful pieces of wood.  But I think the beauty of the wood is dulled by the paper and the tape.  I dislike almost everything about my final project because most of my initial ideas didn’t work out.  A lot of artistic aspects that I intended to include were put aside due to time, resources and my own abilities.  So now I have a product that I am not proud of, and basically just pisses me off whenever I look at it.

I think I would do this process again because I do think it’s a good way of learning a new skill, but for now, I just want a break from learning.


“Don’t just hammer me with posts the last day before class”


Anyway, in my research I saw this masterpiece:



So cool right?

And so easy.  All you do is print off the same picture for the number of signatures you have, then adjust it so it fits on the spine to make the picture.

I’m thinking some kind of wolf picture, instead of a face.  Since this book is going to be about me, and my future artistic endeavours, I want it to be personal. And I love wolves, their my favourite.  My giant wolf tattoo is evidence of that.

First Batch of Paper

My first batch of paper is done!


I used a thicker printing paper that I usually use for binding that I had already printed on and discarded.  The ink on the paper is raised and sharp, and when I started blending, I noticed the ink flecks in the mixture.


The ink flecks stayed visible in the paper, which I really like.  The paper is fairly smooth on one side, and textured on the other where it was against the screen.  All the pages are slightly wrinkled from the drying process, but overall turned out great


The pages folded well, which is awesome; I was worried the paper would rip or be too fibrous to fold nicely.

I had planned on trimming the edges so they were straight and uniform, but I think I’ll just leave it.  The ragged edges are growing on me.


The main difference between the coptic binding that I do, and Ethiopian coptic binding is the use of wooden covers.ethiopian_spine

The thread goes into the “spine” of the cover, and comes out a series of holes, looping around, before going back in and out the same spine hole.

These are my covers!


The edges are sanded to be slightly rounded and smooth.  The boards are really light, which is nice, because my book won’t be so heavy when it’s done.  I still have to drill the holes, which requires me to find a drill, and figure out how I’m actually going to do it.

I’m still debating on whether to do a window or not.  I like the way it looks, I’m just not sure what I would put in it, and how to go about getting it there in the first place.

So back to that whole paper making thing…

I attempted my first batch of paper today.  It was a bit gross and way too messy.



Now I have to leave the sheets dry for a really long time before I can do anything with them.

My tools all worked, so that’s a bonus.

Coptic Endbands/ Headbands

This is turning out to be a more challenging tutorial to follow.  Coptic headbands are sewn along the top of the covers and through the pages after the signatures have been sewn.  They look like this:


I found this youtube video that shows how to do the cover part in detail.  Then I found this five part tutorial which is a little tedious.  I guess beggars can’t be choosers.

The more I look, the more I find in terms of different binding methods and book arts.  There are so many people our there doing this, and doing it so damn well, it makes me want to learn and do so much more with my binding.  I wish I had more time to do more…

2d413ce3f9df24c1e4e8d7d506a64e5d 170-313 c8d1288fe6850891735a856bb109c974 centipede book coptic example coptic headbands 04